Jesus celebrating his hat-rick against Watford in the Premier League

PL WRAP UP: WEEK 33 & 34 – Gunners give Chelsea a run for their money while City remain top

Spurs kicked off match week 33 with a tough 1-0 loss over Brighton at home. The game was at a deadlock for most of the match, with both teams creating several attempts to find the back of the net. It was Brighton’s Trossard who poked the ball into the back of the net in the 90th minute, securing the away side’s 1-0 win.

Spurs tried to keep their hopes up for a top-four return, but their 0-0 draw against Brentford at Brentford stadium the following week hindered them. Toney and Kane came close to scoring for their respective teams, but the game ended in a goalless draw. Spurs are now fifth on the table, two points behind fourth-place Arsenal, while Brentford stay 11th.

Manchester United kicked off their packed two-week schedule with a dramatic 3-2 win over Norwich at Old Trafford. United star Ronaldo opened the scoreboard in the seventh minute and doubled his team’s lead shorty after. Norwich were quick to respond after Dowell found the back of the net right before half time. Pukki levelled the game in the 52nd minute, but Ronaldo completed his 50th club hat-trick in the 76th minute to secure United’s much-needed win.

Their winning feeling soon faded when they travelled to Anfield to face Liverpool in a 4-0 loss against the Reds. Diaz found the back of the net in just five minutes, and teammate Salah scored his first goal of the game soon after, doubling Liverpool’s lead. Mane added to the scoresheet in the 68th minute, and despite Ragnick’s side trying to score one for their end, Salah completed his brace right before the final whistle to secure Liverpool’s 4-goal win over United.

Manchester United then ended their dramatic few weeks with a trip to the Emirates stadium, where they suffered a 3-1 loss against Arsenal. Scoring early seemed to be a trend these last weeks as Tavares found the back of the net in the first three minutes of the game. Arsenal doubled their lead in the 32nd minute with a penalty after Saka was fouled by Telles. Ronaldo scored his 100th league goal to put United back in the game, but Xhaka’s 70th minute goal secured the Gunners’ win.

Arsenal’s winning streak was cut short after a 1-0 loss against Southampton at the St. Mary’s stadium. Arsenal dominated most of the game with 23 shots, but it was Bednarek’s goal in the 44th minute that kept the Saints ahead. Despite Arsenal adding pressure in the second half, it was not enough to level the score, and their first win in five secured three points for Southampton.

Arsenal did not let the loss get to them as they travelled to Stamford bridge where they faced Chelsea in a dramatic 4-2 win. Nketiah was quick to open the scoresheet in the 13th minute, but Werner levelled the score just four minutes after. Smith Rowe put the Gunners in the lead again in the 27th minute, but Azpilicueta levelled the score again just five minutes after. Nketiah completed his brace in the 57th minute, putting Arsenal in the lead for the third time, and a penalty earned and scored by Saka in stoppage time earned Arsenal the crucial three points to catapult them into the top four.

Chelsea bounced back after their loss, beating West Ham 1-0 at Stamford Bridge. After a goalless majority of the game, Dawson received a straight red card after his foul on Lukaku, and substitute Pulisic took advantage of 10-men West Ham, scoring a 90th minute goal to secure an important three points. Chelsea stay third with 65 points, five more than Arsenal with a game in-hand.

Manchester City kicked off their week with a 3-0 in over Brighton at the Etihad stadium. After a goalless first half, Mahrez opened the scoreboard in the 53rd minute, with teammate Foden following in-suit 10 minutes after. Despite Brighton’s efforts to level the score, Silva tripled Manchester City’s lead in the 82nd minute, securing the win for Pep’s side.

Manchester City then continued their winning streak after a thrilling 5-1 win over Watford at the Etihad stadium. Again, the goals flew in early after Jesus found the back of the net in the 4th minute, and double City’s lead in the 23rd minute. Kamara pulled one back for Watford, but their hopes of a comeback were diminished after Rodri scored City’s third goal of the game before half time. Jesus completed his first league hat-trick in the 49th minute and added a fourth goal just five minutes after to secure the win.

Their 15-match winning streak keeps Pep’s side top of the table with 80 points.

After their crucial win against Manchester United at the start of the week, Liverpool were on kept on that streak after a 2-0 win against Everton at Anfield. There were several opportunities in the first half for either team to score, but it was Robertson who found the back of the net in the 62nd minute to put the Reds ahead. And what’s a Merseyside derby without a late Origi header to secure the important three points for Klopp’s side. Liverpool stay second, trailing one point behind Manchester City.

Other results:

Week 33

Watford v Brentford – 1-2

Wolves v Manchester City – TBD

Newcastle v Leicester – 2-1

West Ham v Burnley – 1-1

Week 34

Leicester v Aston Villa – 0-0

Norwich v Newcastle – 0-3

Burnley v Wolves – 1-0

Brighton v Southampton – 2-2

Crystal Palace v Leeds – 0-0

FA Cup semi-finals

At the start of match week 33, the FA Cup semi-finals were held, and the top two on the league table faced off in a thrilling 3-2 match, with Liverpool claiming the win to advance to their first FA Cup final in 10 years.

Konate found the back of the net in the 9th minute, with Mane doubling their lead in the 17th minute. Mane finished his brace in the 45th minute, putting Liverpool three goals ahead of Pep’s side, but Grealish pulled one back in the 47th minute, and in a late scare, Silva scored on more during stoppage time in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to level the score as the Reds took home the win. 

After Liverpool’s win over Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final, it seemed only fitting that Chelsea sought a comeback, and after their 2-0 win over Crystal Palace in the FA Cup semi-final, their chance came true. After a goalless first half, Loftus-Cheek netted one in the 65th minute, and despite Palace’s efforts to pull one back, Mount doubled Chelsea’s lead in the 76th minute to secure the highly anticipated FA cup final against one of their toughest rivals.

The final will be held on May 14 at Wembley stadium.